HISTORY OF OUR BUILDING
The name Wyoming Valley was adopted when Rev. A.D. Laughlin, one of the Churchʼs founding fathers, noted that the area reminded him of the Wyoming Valley in Pennsylvania where he was born. The first settlers came into the valley sometime in 1843. In the fall of 1845 a small log house was nestled in the Valley. A Presbyterian Church was organized on July 24, 1846 with 9 charter members. A few years later, the name of this church was changed to the Congregational Church of Wyoming. Methodist circuit riders followed the first settlers into the valley sometime in 1846. In the early 1850ʼs people of Scottish ancestry organized a United Presbyterian Church. The Congregationalists purchased what is known today as the Ladies Hall for $400 from the United Presbyterians and this building still stands beside the present Methodist Church.
The Methodists and Congregationalist held services on alternate Sundays in this building and the Sunday school was held jointly.
The people attended both services.
In 1902, the present church building was constructed at the cost of $4300. The Methodists shared their new building with the Congregationalists until 1926 at which time the two congregations united.
The Church held weekly Sunday services throughout the years. The community used the Ladies Hall after services for different social events like the tradition of Election Day dinners provided by the Church Ladies. The Ladies Hall continued as well to host the Sunday school.
In 1970 the Church went under the Avoca-Gotham charge with student ministers travelling the circuit to conduct services.
In 1975 a sad event: the stained glass windows were stolen from the church. An immediate fund-raising effort resulted in exact replicas being created and installed.
By the 1980ʼs church membership had dwindled during the winter months and, rather than heat the building, services were held in local homes.
However, at Christmas time a special evening service was held and Samuel Hutchinson presented music.
In 1979 Nina Edming started the Wyoming Church Hymn Singing. Participants came from all over central Wisconsin on the first Sunday afternoon of each month throughout the summer. (Rural Musicians Forum)
The Church was finally deconsecrated in 2008 sitting empty and unused until 2009 when Herb Kritz purchased it. Kritz was intent upon preserving the building and sold it in 2010 to Steven Wasson and Corinne Soum, and so it became the home of The White Church Theatre Project and The Theatre de lʼAnge Fou.
London Studio and School
The London studio and school has now moved to a new address in Wisconsin, USA:
Wyoming Valley Church,
6348 State Road 23
Spring Green, Wisconsin
You can still email us as before - please use the contact page.